Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Eufaula

 
 
Frst Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
1. Frst Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker
Inscription. Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First Baptist Church of Eufaula. The church met temporarily in the male academy at the Northwest corner of Union and Livingston Streets. In 1841 a new church building was erected at the Northwest corner of Union and Forsyth Streets. The second church was built at this location and was dedicated on November 5, 1871. The building was destroyed by fire caused by lightning on August 12, 1907 and rebuilt using the same exterior walls without the steeple.
 
Erected 2001 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Baptist Church.
 
Location. 31° 53.483′ N, 85° 8.62′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is at the intersection of East Barbour Street (U.S. 82) and South Randolph Street, on the right when traveling west on East Barbour Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 S. Randolph Street, Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eufaula First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet
First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
2. First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker
Looking east on East Barbour Street (US 82) toward Lake Walter F. George (and Georgia).
away, measured in a direct line); Cowikee Cotton Mills (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Hart House (approx. ¼ mile away); Confederate Hospital (approx. half a mile away); General Grierson’s March (approx. half a mile away); Eufaula (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eufaula.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker
Looking west along East Barbour Street (US Highway 82) toward Eufaula Avenue (US Highway 421).
First Baptist Church of Eufaula image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
4. First Baptist Church of Eufaula
First Baptist Church of Eufaula image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
5. First Baptist Church of Eufaula
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement