Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1740 Siege

 
 
1740 Siege Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
1. 1740 Siege Marker
Inscription. In 1740, General James Oglethorpe of Georgia, vowed to "take St. Augustine or leave my bones before its walls." The Spanish Governor Manuel de Montiano vowed in turn to "shed his last drop of blood" in defense of the town. Neither had to keep their vow. Oglethorpe's artillery bombarded the fort for 27 days, but could do little damage. Unable to capture the fort by force, the English withdrew.
 
Location. 29° 53.882′ N, 81° 18.669′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from South Castillo Drive (State Highway A1A), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located at the parapet of Castillo de San Marcos. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Charles Bastion (a few steps from this marker); Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Vigia de San Carlos (a few steps from this marker); U.S. Shot Furnace (a few steps from this marker); Matanzas Bay (a few steps from this marker); Indian Prisoners (within shouting distance of this marker); La Necesaria (within shouting distance of this marker); Pirate Attacks (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .
Marker at the Parapet of the Castillo image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
2. Marker at the Parapet of the Castillo
 English Siege of St. Augustine. (Submitted on August 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, Castles
 
Siege Batteries across the Bay image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 2, 2011
3. Siege Batteries across the Bay
In 1740 the English siege batteries occupied Anastasia Island opposite St. Augustine. Other batteries stood on the southern tip of present day Vilano Beach to the northeast.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement