Mariposa in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mariposa County’s Old Stone Jail
E Clampus Vitus June 9, 1979
Rededicated with new plaque
April 4, 1992
By Matuca Chapter (5997)
Erected 1979 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter No. 1849.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 29.066′ N, 119° 57.81′ W. Marker is in Mariposa, California, in Mariposa County. Marker is on Bullion Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schlageter Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fremont Adobe (about 400 feet away); Mariposa Independent Order Odd Fellows Hall (about 500 feet away); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mariposa County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mariposa County Court House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Mariposa County Court House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mariposa.
Also see . . .
1. The Mariposa County Jail. The old jail, while still looking capable of confining even the most heinous desperados, hasn’t held a prisoner since it was condemned in 1963. (Submitted on August 27, 2011.)
2. Jail History. (Submitted on August 27, 2011.)
Additional keywords. jails
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 491 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of original plaque. • Can you help?