“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Tripp House

The Tripp House Marker image. Click for full size.
August 22, 2011
1. The Tripp House Marker
Inscription. Isaac Tripp, Scranton’s first settler, built a house here in 1771. His son, Isaac II, began the present building – the oldest in Lackawanna County – about 1778. Both men represented this region in Connecticut’s Assembly. Isaac III enlarged the house in the Federal style, 1812. Col. Ira Tripp remodeled it along Victorian lines during the period 1870-91. The house remained in the family until 1900.
Erected 1983 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 41° 25.578′ N, 75° 40.185′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on North Main Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Between Bedford and Foster Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Capoose (approx. 0.2 miles away); Munsee Indian Village (approx. half a mile away); Terence V. Powderly (approx. half a mile away); Rev. William Bishop (approx. one mile away); Bullard Company #2 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Canadian National Railways #47
The Tripp House image. Click for full size.
August 22, 2011
2. The Tripp House
(approx. 1.2 miles away); Union Pacific #4012 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rahway Valley #15 (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Scranton.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement