Fish House in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On June 3, 1778 Godfrey Shew stationed his son Jacob to report approach Tory and Indian raiders under co. Ross. Later family made prisoners.
Erected 1932 by State Education Department.
Location. 43° 8.798′ N, 74° 7.686′ W. Marker is in Fish House, New York, in Fulton County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Fish House Road and County Road 110. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Broadalbin NY 12025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Covered Bridge (about 600 feet away); "Fish House" (about 600 feet away); Marvin House (about 700 feet away); Godfrey Shew (approx. ¼ mile away); Hans' Creek (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sacandaga Pike (approx. 2 miles away); Frenchmans Creek (approx. 3.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fish House.
Regarding Shew's Hill. If you read the exploits of the Shew family of old Fish House, they mention a high rise of ground overlooking the Sacandaga River. It became a good location to see anyone passing up or down the river. During the many raids down the Sacandaga during our American
Also see . . . Jacob Shew: Returns home on St. Patrick's Day. Transcription of James F. Morrison's book "A History of Fulton County in the Revolution" by dedicated volunteer, Peggy Menear for the Fulton County NYGenWeb. (Submitted on September 1, 2011, by ELizabeth Emery of Gloversville, New York.)
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by ELizabeth Emery of Gloversville, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings • Can you help?