Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Quitman County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Georgetown

 
 
Georgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
1. Georgetown Marker
Inscription. Settled in the early 1830ís this town was first named Tobanana for the nearby creek. The Tobanana post office was established January 10, 1833, and the name was changed to Georgetown September 21, 1836, in honor of Georgetown, District of Columbia.

Among the first settlers at Georgetown were the families of Captain Harrison Adam Leonard, Kenneth McKenzie, William Oliver and James G. Salisbury. Other early families represented were Bledsoe, Christian, Crawford, Ellington, Guerry, Mercer, Morris, Neel and Warren.

Georgetown was designated in 1859 as the county seat of Quitman Co. and was laid out as a town by order of the Inferior Court. The town was incorporated by Act of the Legislature Dec. 9, 1859.

In the immediate vicinity on the Georgia side of the Chattahoochee River was located the original Lower Creek Indian town of Eufaula which was visited and described by Benjamin Hawkins, U.S. Indian Agent, in 1799.

Near Georgetown on the banks of Tobanana Creek a brigade of Federal Cavalry commanded by Gen Benjamin H. Greierson camped for a time in 1865 at the close of War Between the States.
 
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 118-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission

Georgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
2. Georgetown Marker
marker series.
 
Location. 31° 53.146′ N, 85° 6.54′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Georgia, in Quitman County. Marker is on Main Street 0 miles south of Harrison Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker stands in front of the Quitman County Courthouse. Main Street was US Highway 82 before the bypass was built. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Main Street, Georgetown GA 39854, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quitman County (here, next to this marker); Quitman Countyís Old Jail (a few steps from this marker); Georgetown High School / Alma Mater (approx. half a mile away); Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-Crawford Family Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Confederate Hospital (approx. 1.6 miles away in Alabama); Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot (approx. 1.9 miles away in Alabama); Cotton and Creek Country (approx. 1.9 miles away in Alabama); Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco) (approx. 1.9 miles away in Alabama). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Georgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Georgetown Marker
Georgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
4. Georgetown Marker
The marker (on the left) in front of the Quitman County Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement