Inscription. In November 1942, NAS Sanford was commissioned to meet the need for additional naval aviation training facilities. Originally planned for bomber training, within a year it converted to fighter plane training. A major portion of fighter pilots that served on aircraft carriers in the Pacific during WWII trained at the field. “Touch and Go” training simulated aircraft landings at the airfield at Osceola and other nearby fields. Fifty-three pilots lost their lives in plane crashes in the surrounding area during this time.
May 24, 2007
|1. Naval Air Station - Sanford Marker (Obverse)|
At the end of WWII, the airfield was decommissioned and turned over to the city. In 1947, the NY Giants constructed eight baseball fields for their spring farm teams. Other activities using the facilities included apartments, motels, a seminary, a Bible College and the county hospital in the old dispensary.
In 1951, with the start of the Korean War, the air station was reactivated. Its mission changed several times, but it always supported fleet carrier aircraft. This time training and refresher courses were given to both reserves and experienced pilots.
NAS Sanford in 1957, was one of the first to receive a squadron of A3D Skywarriors, a long-range jet-bomber. In the 1960's these were replaced by the Vigilante. Originally designed as a nuclear bomber, the aircraft later was used
for photographic reconnaissance missions. During the Vietnam War, Sanford was home to the families of many POWS and MIAS from Vigilante squadrons.
May 24, 2007
|2. Naval Air Station - Sanford Marker (Reverse)|
In 1968 Congress closed the base and returned the airport back to the city. This caused a major economic set back to the area. Slowly the area and the airport recovered, thus bringing international flights to Sanford.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission. (Marker Number FL-SC017.)
Location. 28° 45.888′ N, 81° 14.265′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Red Cleveland Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sanford FL 32773, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Fort Reid (approx. 2.4 miles away); Georgetown (approx. 3 miles away); Dr. Seth French (1824~1896) (approx. 3.1 miles away); St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Sanford State Farmers' Market (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of Fort Mellon (approx. 3.5 miles away); Fort Mellon and Mellonville (approx. 3.5 miles away); Georgetown and Goldsboro (approx. 3.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
Also see . . .
Service of North American A-5 Vigilante with US Navy. Information on the A-3/A-5 and the Squadrons that flew it. (Submitted on August 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
May 24, 2007
|3. Marker with North American A-5 Vigilante in background.|
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,232 times since then. Last updated on August 28, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |