Downs in Osborne County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Founding of Downs, Kansas
In 1879 the Central Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad designated a site on the homesteads of John Beal, Harriet Delay, and Azariah and Marinda Blunt as their new division point. The town of Downs was named for railroad superintendent Major William F. Downs. Morgan Avenue the town's main north-south thoroughfare, was named after Major Downs' mother. Beale, Blunt, and Delay Streets honor the original landowners. Downs was incorporated as a third-class city on December 17, 1879.
Erected 1999 by The Downs Historical Society and the Bates-Dille Fund.
Location. 39° 30.155′ N, 98° 32.61′ W. Marker is in Downs, Kansas, in Osborne County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue near Morgan Avenue (Kansas Route 181), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Downs KS 67437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot (a few steps from this marker); Memorial Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sod and Stubble (approx. half a mile away); Pioneers, O Pioneers Civil War Unknown Dead (approx. 0.7 miles away); World's Largest Ball of Sisal Twine (approx. 5.9 miles away); Homestead of J. Gledhill (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Downs.
Also see . . .
1. History of Downs, Kansas. (Submitted on August 29, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. The Strong History of Downs, Kansas. (Submitted on August 29, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.