Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Unknown Confederate Dead Monument
Soldiers of the Confederate States
“The death of men is not the death of rights that urged them to the fray.”
A loving memory from the Richland Memorial Association
Erected 1899 by Richland Memorial Association.
Location. 34° 0.978′ N, 81° 3.336′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker can be reached from Elmwood Avenue. Click for map. Inside Elmwood Cemetery in the Confederate Memorial Area. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elmwood Cemetery Confederate Soldiers (here, next to this marker); Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865 (here, next to this marker); Randolph Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Benjamin Franklin Randolph Monument (approx. half a mile away); George Elmore (approx. half a mile away); Site of the Surrender of Columbia, SC (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old State Fair Grounds (approx. 0.7 miles away); South Carolina Memorial Gardens (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
1. More about this monument
The monument to the unknown Confederate dead stands thirteen feet tall in the center of the Confederate section at Elmwood Cemetery. The South Carolina Monument Association was organized in 1869 and purchased a site on Arsenal Hill in 1873 to erect the monument that now stands on the State House grounds. When the association was forced to seek an alternate site because of the discovery of quicksand on Arsenal Hill, they chose the hill above the entrance to Elmwood Cemetery. With the ouster of the Radicals in 1876, the State House lawn became the preferred site for the associationís monument, and the base was moved from Elmwood to the State House. Not until 1899 did another organization, the Richland Memorial Association, erect an appropriate monument over the graves of the unknown soldiers at Elmwood Cemetery. This association, composed of a number of patriotic women of Columbia, had been raising funds for several years to erect a shaft at Elmwood. A large, anonymous gift made completion of the blue marble monument possible.
— Submitted August 31, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,158 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.