Washington County Courthouse / Salem Downtown Historic District
Washington County Courthouse
County formed 1814 by General Assembly of Indiana Territory. Commissioners selected county seat and named it Salem. This third courthouse completed 1888 using locally quarried limestone. Designed in Richardsonian Romanesque Style by Harry P. McDonald, Louisville. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1980.
Salem Downtown Historic District
Town platted 1814; historic district area includes original plat. Continues as geographical, governmental, business, and social center of county. Nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings-in Italianate, Gothic, and Classical styles-surround public square. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1997.
Erected 1998 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Washington County Community Foundation. (Marker Number 88.1998.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 36.36′ N, 86° 6.049′ W. Marker is in Salem, Indiana, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Public Square (North Side) (Indiana Route 135) and North Main Street, on the left when traveling west on Public
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Washington County Honor Rolls Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Salem Suffers (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan's Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of John Milton Hay (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Hay Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burning the Salem Railroad Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Brock Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 460 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.