Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeLand in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bell #8

“The Eloise Chimes”

 

1915

 
Bell #8 Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
1. Bell #8 Marker
Inscription. This bell was part of a set of 11 chimes originally designed for a Methodist Church in Pennsylvania. Lincoln Hulley, Stetson University's second president, acquired the bells in 1915 and they were mounted in the cupola of Elizabeth Hall. When the weight and vibrations of the 11 bells, ranging from 575 to 3000 pounds, caused the walls of the cupola to crack, a 116-foot tower was built on the campus to house them in 1934. Lincoln and Eloise Hulley are buried on the first floor on the south side wall of the tower. When the top of Hulley Tower was dismantled in 2006, Bell #8 was bequeathed to the Henry A. DeLand House Museum.
 
Erected by the West Volusia Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, West Volusia Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 29° 2.014′ N, 81° 18.311′ W. Marker is in DeLand, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on West Michigan Avenue east of North Florida Avenue. Click for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Henry A. DeLand House Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 West Michigan Avenue, Deland FL 32720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Woman's Club of DeLand (within shouting
Bell #8 and Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
2. Bell #8 and Marker
distance of this marker); DeLand Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Opera House (approx. mile away); Circa 1885 (approx. mile away); Early Grocery Stores (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Athens Theatre (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Movie House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in DeLand.
 
More about this marker. The marker is just above ground level, affixed to a concrete base below the bell, which is mounted atop a pole.
 
Regarding Bell #8. The eleven bells making up the Eloise Chimes were made by the McShane Bell Foundry of Baltimore, MD. Hulley Tower, built to house the bells, was named a Contributing Structure to the Stetson University Campus Historic District when the district was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. The Hulley family built the tower as a gift to Stetson, and as a burial place for Dr. Lincoln Hulley and his wife, Eloise, for whom the chimes were named. Dr. Hulley served
Bell #8 image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
3. Bell #8
"Ring out old shapes of foul disease,
ring out the narrowing lust of gold."

Mc Shane Bell Foundry Co.
Baltimore, MD.
as president of Stetson University from 1904 - 1934.

In 2005, it was determined that years of weather, including hurricanes, had compromised the tower's structural integrity. The tower was dismantled to its base mausoleum structure. The university's long-term plans are to rebuild the tower and replace the original set of 11 bells with a full carillon of at least 23 bells.
 
Also see . . .
1. Play the Eloise Chimes!. An interactive chime simulation from the Stetson University website. (Submitted on September 3, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.) 

2. News about Hulley Tower. Stetson University page with a photo of the old tower. (Submitted on September 3, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.) 

3. DeLand House Museum Website. run by the West Volusia Historical Society (Submitted on September 4, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.) 
 
Additional keywords. carillon
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEducation
 
Bell #8 image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
4. Bell #8
"I was glad when they said unto me,
let us go into the house of the Lord."
Base of Hulley Tower image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
5. Base of Hulley Tower
Located about 1120 feet northeast of Bell #8, the base of the tower is presently all that remains of the original structure.
Hulley Tower Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
6. Hulley Tower Plaque
The Eloise Chimes
This peal of bells was given by the people
attending the vesper services and was named
in honor of
Eloise M. Hulley
by the citizens and trustees
as an expression of their high regard for her
Base of Hulley Tower image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
7. Base of Hulley Tower
The base still serves as a mausoleum for Dr. & Mrs. Hulley.
A larger bell from the original Eloise Chimes is displayed by the rear wall.
Bell outside Hulley Tower image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
8. Bell outside Hulley Tower
"Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his
praise unto the end of the earth."

Mc Shane Bell Foundry Co.
Baltimore, MD.
191(2?).
Bell outside Hulley Tower image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
9. Bell outside Hulley Tower
"We have thought of they loving kindness, o God,
in the midst of thy temple."
Henry A. DeLand House Museum image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
10. Henry A. DeLand House Museum
The marker is found outside the house, which was built in 1886 for Arthur George Hamlin, the city of DeLand's first attorney. The land was previously owned by city founder Henry A. DeLand.

The home was featured on the First Annual Candlelight Tour of Homes in 1991.
Henry A. DeLand House Museum Sign image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
11. Henry A. DeLand House Museum Sign
On July 29, 1988 Robert & Hawtense Conrad donated this home to the City of DeLand. It serves as the home of the West Volusia Historical Society & the Volusia County Historical Commission.
Open to the public
Great Floridians 2000 plaque: Arthur George Hamlin image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
12. Great Floridians 2000 plaque: Arthur George Hamlin
The plaque, mounted on the DeLand House by the Florida Department of State and Florida League of Cities, honors Arthur George Hamlin, a prominent attorney for the likes of Henry Flagler, John B. Stetson, and Henry A. DeLand. Hamlin was also a citrus grower who is responsible for developing the Hamlin Orange, which once was Florida's most important juice orange and today is the predominant early-season orange grown both in Florida and Brazil.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 502 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement