Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Trinity Parish Church

Episcopal

 
 
Trinity Parish Church Episcopal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. Trinity Parish Church Episcopal Marker
Inscription. The Church of England was established in Florida during the British occupation (1763-1783). The Reverend John Forbes held services first in the Spanish Bishop's House then on this site. Later, the ancient Spanish church a short distance south on St. George street was renovated and re-named St. Peters. There Anglican worship continued until the Spanish returned to Florida in 1784.

Shortly after Florida became a United States Territory in 1821, the Reverend Andrew Fowler of Charleston, South Carolina, founded the Protestant Episcopal Church in St. Augustine and held first services in the Government House.

The cornerstone of the original church, which forms the north transept of this building, was laid June 23, 1825. The church was enlarged to its present form in 1902.
 
Erected 1965 by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 29° 53.529′ N, 81° 18.738′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and St. George Street, on the right when traveling east on King Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 31 King Street (within shouting
Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Church and Marker
distance of this marker); Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Cast Iron Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Augustine Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); 8-inch Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de la Constitución (within shouting distance of this marker); Nuestra Señora de los Remedios (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Well (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Trinty Episcopal Parish Church. History page on church website. (Submitted on September 4, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement