Near Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This historic crossing on the San Gabriel River was named for pioneer settler Samuel Mankins, who purchased land along the river in 1849. The limestone bed in the river provided a convenient crossing for area farmers. A nearby community included a school, church, and cotton gin. A 1914 concrete and gravel causeway was replaced by a State Highway Department concrete bridge in 1931. After the Highway Department built a new bridge on higher ground at Highway 29 in 1958, the Mankins Crossing bridge became a popular recreational site for area residents.
Erected 1990 by The Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9307.)
Location. 30° 38.798′ N, 97° 34.958′ W. Marker is near Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on County Road 100. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Double File Trail (Georgetown) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Texan Santa Fe Expedition (approx. 0.6 miles away); Weir Community Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); City of Weir (approx. Community of Jonah (approx. 2.5 miles away); Pennington Family Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Neusser (Naizerville) (approx. 3.5 miles away); Jesse Cooper House (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 881 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.