“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

In the Confederacy

In the Confederacy Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. In the Confederacy Marker
Inscription. CONFEDERATE FORT - To protect Fort Gaines from Federal gunboats, Confederate Army engineers in 1863 laid out a fort here, commanding a full view of the river for two miles below. A large magazine of lumber and sand was built about 60 feet from the bluff with trenches running north and south to cannon. Breastworks were thrown up along the bluff. Below, on the river bank, was a magazine and a cannon. Of the three cannons, one remains at the site. John Seales, Dr. James Mandeville, Dr. Gaston, Capt. John B. Johnson, a recent graduate of West Point, were among the officers in charge. As southwest Georgia was not invaded the fort was never used.

WAYSIDE HOME - After the Battle of Olustee in N Florida, casualties were brought up the river to Fort Gaines, where all available churches, stores and other buildings became temporary hospitals. Most outstanding of these was “Wayside Home” in the old Masonic Building, on the site of the present one.

UNKNOWN SOLDIERS - Nine unknown Confederate soldiers who died in temporary hospitals here are buried in New Park Cemetery. Their graves are decorated each Memorial Day.

FEDERAL PRISONERS - A number of prisoners, overflow from the prison at Andersonville, were brought to Fort Gaines and kept under guard in the yard of the old County Court House.
In the Confederacy Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. In the Confederacy Marker
The cannon mentioned on the marker is visible in the distance.
1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 030-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 36.364′ N, 85° 3.275′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is on Bluff Street 0 miles south of Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is a short distance off the road near the bluff. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Lattice Bridge (a few steps from this marker); The 1836 Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Gaines Female College (about 500 feet away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Chattahoochee River Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Fort Gaines Guards (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Gaines.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesForts, CastlesWar, US Civil
Confederate Cannon image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Confederate Cannon
As mentioned on the marker, this cannon has stood here since the Civil War.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement