Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Locust Grove in Orange County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Robinson's Tavern

 
 
Robinson's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 5, 2008
1. Robinson's Tavern Marker
Inscription. Near here stood ancient Robinson's Tavern. Here Meade wished to concentrate his army in the Mine Run Campaign, November 1863, but one corps, coming up late, disarranged his plans. Here Ewell, moving east from Orange in the Wilderness Campaign, camped on May 4, 1864.
 
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number JJ 15.)
 
Location. 38° 18.324′ N, 77° 48.571′ W. Marker is in Locust Grove, Virginia, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Constitution Highway (State Highway 20) and Gold Dale Road (County Route 611), on the right when traveling west on Constitution Highway. Click for map. Located between the highway and the parking lot for a convenience store, on the northeast corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Locust Grove VA 22508, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Face Off (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mine Run Campaign (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Mine Run Campaign (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Battle of Payne’s Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different
Robinson's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 5, 2008
2. Robinson's Tavern Marker
Constitution Highway (the historical Orange Turnpike, and modern Highway 20) running behind the marker leads to the Wilderness Battlefield and beyond to Chancellorsville. The Orange Plank Road ran parallel but further to the south. The plan road offered a firm, but more round about, path for wagons.
marker also named The Mine Run Campaign (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Mine Run Campaign (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Payne’s Farm (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Payne’s Farm (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Locust Grove.
 
Regarding Robinson's Tavern. This marker is one in a series that detail the Mine Run Campaign. See the Mine Run Virtual Tour by Markers link below for a full list.
 
Also see . . .
1. Mine Run Campaign. National Park Service summary of the campaign includes a driving tour. (Submitted on January 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Mine Run Virtual Tour by Markers. Series of markers that detail the Mine Run Campaign. (Submitted on January 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Location of Robinson's Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 16, 2008
3. Location of Robinson's Tavern
The tavern stood at the northeast corner of the intersection. Today a convenience store/gas station occupies that spot. Another modern building in the strip uses the business name "Robinson's Tavern." The National Park Service driving tour states the original was moved further to the north. However after on site visits, no structure meeting the description stands in that area. On the south side of the highway, a wooden structure generally matching the descriptions stands.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,022 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement