Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Linwood Cemetery

 
 
Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1
Inscription. A part of the 1828 plan of Columbus, Linwood contains graves of pioneer citizens and their descendents, as well as the tombs of some 200 Confederate soldiers. Among those buried here are Anna Caroline Benning (1853-1935), who formed the “Columbus Committee” of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia; General Henry L. Benning (1814-1875), Confederate leader for whom the military post was named; industrialist and philanthropist W.C. Bradley (1863-1947); Dr. Edwin DeGraffenried (1798-1871), one of the city’s original five commissioners; Noble Leslie DeVotie (1838-1861), Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity founder;

(Continued on other side)

(Side 2):
(Continued from other side)

Helen Augusta Howard (1865-1934), founder of the Georgia Woman Suffrage Association; Ulysses Lewis (1799-1856), city’s first intendant and kinsman of George Washington; pharmacist John S. Pemberton (1831-1888), originator of the formula for Coca-Cola; the Reverend Dr. Lovick Pierce (1785-1879), the “Nestor of Southern Methodism”; Philip T. Shutze (1890-1982), 20th century neo-classical architect; Springer Opera House founder Francis J. Springer (1834-1882); and physician-poet Francis
Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 2
O. Ticknor
(1822-1874). Named for Ernest Linwood (1856), a novel by Caroline Lee Hentz, the cemetery was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
 
Erected 1993 by The Columbus Town Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia to Commemorate the Centennial of the NSCDA in Georgia, 1893-1993.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
 
Location. 32° 28.584′ N, 84° 58.947′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Linwood Boulevard and 8th Street, on the left when traveling east on Linwood Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Dead (about 400 feet away); This Gun (about 500 feet away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 0.2
Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1
Looking west on Linwood Boulevard
miles away); Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tyler Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Linwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
4. Linwood Cemetery Marker
Looking east on Linwood Boulevard
Linwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
5. Linwood Cemetery Marker
Looking east, with the cemetery fence on the left and Linwood Boulevard on the right
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement