“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Red Jacket

Red Jacket Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Red Jacket Marker
Inscription. Red Jacket, a small brass cannon, was first used in firing a salute of 500 guns when Georgia seceded from the Union. In custody of the Columbus Guards, it fired salutes at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis as President of the Confederate States of America at Montgomery, Alabama, Feb. 18, 1861. Red Jacket was purchased by Mrs. Laura Beecher Comer in 1861 and presented to the Columbus Guards. During the war period it was used to fire salutes to Confederate victories in the Army and Navy. When a Federal army approached Columbus in 1865, some member of the Columbus Guards, fearing the little gun would be captured, threw in into the Chattahoochee River near the city wharf. Four years later, it was accidentally drawn up on the fluke of an anchor. The finders sold it as junk and it was carried to New York City and bought by J. W. Godfrey, an armorer. A newspaper reporter saw Red Jacket and wrote a description of it in a New York paper. The clipping was sent to L. H. Chappell, then captain of the Columbus Guards, in 1884. Correspondence ensued and Mr. Godfrey restored the gun to the Columbus Guards. In 1930 Red Jacket was stolen from its carriage on Upper Broad Street and conveyed to the river bank. When fired, it burst into many pieces. Alva C. Smith, secretary - treasurer of the Historical Society of Columbus, found all the pieces and had
Red Jacket Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Red Jacket Marker
the gun mended and rebuilt.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-22.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 27.881′ N, 84° 59.451′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 10th Street and Second Avenue, on the left when traveling west on 10th Street. Click for map. The marker stands at the sidewalk in front of the Muscogee County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Hospitals (within shouting distance of this marker); Springer Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Thomas H. Brewer (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fit for Man and Beast (about 700 feet away); The Columbus Guards (about 800 feet away); Confederate Memorial Day (approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple Israel (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Regarding Red Jacket. After Red Jacket was rebuilt, it stood for many years at the courthouse, near the
Red Jacket Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Red Jacket Marker
Looking east on 10th Street at the intersection with Second Avenue
marker. It has been moved to the Columbus Ironworks Convention and Trade Center.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement