Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
General Benning was Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia, member of the Georgia convention adopting the Ordinances of Secession, and Commissioner to the Virginia Convention, January 1861, to advocate Secession.
He entered the Confederate Army, in August 1861, as colonel of the Seventeenth Ga. Regiment. As Brigadier General, he was often in command of Hood’s famed Division of the First Corps. Participated with gallantry in the battles of Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chickamauga, The Wilderness, Thoroughfare Gap, Knoxville, Petersburg, and others.
General Benning was distinguished for coolness and bravery and was called “Old Rock” by his troops. He was wounded severely in the second-day fighting in the Wilderness. At Appomattox he still commanded the Georgia Brigade. After the war, he returned to Columbus to practice law.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 28.39′ N, 84° 59.58′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on TSYS Way 0 miles from 14th Street. Click for map. The marker stands on the campus of TSYS. Marker is at or near this postal address: One TSYS Way, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Parker Swift I (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Haiman's Sword Factory (about 500 feet away but has been reported missing); Civil War Women’s Riot (about 600 feet away); Philip Thomas Schley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Robert Winship Woodruff (approx. 0.2 miles away); High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rankin House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bullard-Hart-Sampson House (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. The marker originally stood on the east side of Broadway above 14th Street. It is still in the same location, but the TSYS headquarters and campus stands on what had been Broadway at this point; the street no longer exists
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.