“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Historic Alexandria

Historic Alexandria Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 6, 2005
1. Historic Alexandria Marker
Inscription. Alexandria was named for the family of John Alexander, a Virginia planter who in 1669 acquired the tract on which the town began. By 1732, the site was known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and in 1749 became Alexandria, thereafter a major 18th-century port. George Washington frequented the town; Robert E. Lee claimed it as his boyhood home. From 1801 to 1847 Alexandria was part of the District of Columbia, and was later occupied by Federal troops during the Civil War. By the 20th century it had become a major railroad center. In 1946, Alexandria created the third historic district in the United States to protect its 18th - and - 19th century buildings.
Erected 1997 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E 86.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the Virginia, Old Town Alexandria marker series.
Location. 38° 48.268′ N, 77° 2.503′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on King Street near Fairfax and Lee Streets, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Alexandria Visitor's Center, facing the street. It is two
Ramsay House, Alexandria's Visitor's Center image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 6, 2005
2. Ramsay House, Alexandria's Visitor's Center
Originally built in the 18th century by William Ramsay, a Scottish merchant and city founder.
blocks from the foot of King Street, on the Potomac River. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ramsay House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site (about 300 feet away); Bank of Alexandria (about 400 feet away); Home of Elisha Cullen Dick (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . .
1. Have a Hot Time in Virginia’s ‘Old Town’ Tonight. “George Washington’s associations with Alexandria are many. There is an impressive, 17-foot-high bronze statue of the first president in Old Town, and the church where he worshipped, Christ Church, is beautifully kept and still an active Episcopalian church. It is located at 118 N. Washington St. Robert E. Lee also frequented Christ Church, and President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill prayed there together in the darkest days of World War II.” (Submitted on August 15, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.) 

2. Historic Alexandria Foundation
The Shipbuilder image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
3. The Shipbuilder
Sculpted by Michael Curtis. Dedicated to the City of Alexandria November 5, 2004. This bronze is in Waterfront Park, on The Strand between King and Prince Streets.
. (Submitted on December 31, 2005.)
Additional comments.
1. King Street Shopping
King Street is lined with shops and restaurants for the 15 or so blocks between the Metro and Amtrak Stations and the river. It usually gets quite lively and festive between Washington Street and the river.

There is on-street parking and various parking garages and lots. A free bus circulates between the Metro station and City Hall, three blocks from the river to encourage visitors to come by Metro, the Washington Metropolitan Area subway system.
    — Submitted December 31, 2005.

Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsPolitical SubdivisionsWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
Waterfront Park image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
4. Waterfront Park
Looking towards the corner of The Strand and Prince Streets.
The Potomac River at Waterfront Park image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
5. The Potomac River at Waterfront Park
Corporal Charles W. Hill, Sr. Memorial Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
6. Corporal Charles W. Hill, Sr. Memorial Tablet
February 22, 1949 – March 22, 1989. An officer of the Alexandria Police Department slain in the line of duty. Corporal Hill's love and devotion to duty witnessed throughout thirteen years of service were second only to his love and devotion to his family, wife Virginia, and sons Charles, Jr. and Robert. This memorial stands in honor of Corporal Hill and those other officers who have fallen before him in service to this community. The supreme sacrifice made by each of them will never be forgotten. May our thoughts and prayers be with them, their families, their friends and the dedicated officers who continue to serve and protect this city. This monument is in the small park at the foot of King street.
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 3,072 times since then and 142 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on .   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement