Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
was purchased from two members
of the Indian tribe of Manahatas
named Carapetayne and Pehiwas by
Wouter Van Twiller, a Governor and
Director General of New Nether-
land – June 16, 1637; The price paid
was two axe heads, a string of
beads and a handful of nails.
Erected 1951 by The Holland Society of New York.
Location. 40° 41.425′ N, 74° 0.863′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Click for map. Marker is located in the historic section of Governors Island, just west of the Commanding Officerís Quarters. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nolan Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Evans Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officerís Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Pershing Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The New York Arsenal (about 300 feet away); The Dutch and Governors Island The Governorís House (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Governors House (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Governors Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.