The Square as it appeared in 1936
In the distant background there is the distinctive curved roof line of the Rainbow Dance Hall as well as the classic western facade of the Jackson hole Courier, the town's first local newspaper.
A year after this photograph was taken, Jackson Drug Company was relocated from the Clubhouse to a building constructed west of the post office. It was the only stone building on the Town Square. Cutting blocks of ice from nearby ponds and gathering eggs and cream from local ranches, the drug store owners made their own ice cream. Locals considered this drugstore with its old time soda fountain the heart of town.
Location. 43° 28.8′ N, 110° 45.735′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on U.S. 89, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is on the Square. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson WY 83001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Clubhouse (here, next to this marker); The Jackson Town Square (a few steps from this marker); John Colter
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.