Near Livingston in Grant County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Rock Church
Construction began in 1851 and men and women alike, worked long and hard for several years to complete it. They drew limestone for the walls from a quarry just west of here and hauled other materials 40 miles from Galena, Illinois by oxen and wagon.
More than a small church on a windblown hillside, Rock Church is a true symbol of the pioneering spirit and religious heritage of its builders.
Erected in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. Yelinek
Location. 42° 54.303′ N, 90° 28.053′ W. Marker is near Livingston, Wisconsin, in Grant County. Marker is on Rock Church Road 0.3 miles north of County Road E, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston WI 53554, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World's Largest M (approx. 10.3 miles away); 1998 Wisconsin Assembly (approx. 10.8 miles away); Belmont, Wisconsin Territory, 1836 Governor Tommy G. Thompson's 1998 Address At Wisconsin's First Capitol (approx. 10.9 miles away); The First Capitol (approx. 10.9 miles away); Land, Lead, and Politics (approx. 10.9 miles away); The "Dinky" (approx. 11.1 miles away); Main Street Commercial Historic District Platteville (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Cemetery Vandalism. The Old Rock Church cemetery suffered heavy vandalism during August, 2011. (Submitted on September 22, 2011, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.