Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elizabethton in Carter County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Mansion

 
 
The Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 17, 2011
1. The Mansion Marker
Inscription. “The Mansion” was built before 1780 by John Carter and his son Landon. John Carter was chairman of the Watauga Association, a court of five men elected by the settlers of the Watauga Count in May 1772, “to govern and direct for the common good of all the people.” Carter County is named for Landon and Elizabethton is named for his wife Elizabeth MacLin. The family cemetery is located to the east of the house.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 19.)
 
Location. 36° 21.217′ N, 82° 12.256′ W. Marker is in Elizabethton, Tennessee, in Carter County. Marker can be reached from Broad Street 0.1 miles east of Circle Drive, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is located next to the visitors' parking lot for the John and Landon Carter Mansion. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1013 Broad Street, Elizabethton TN 37643, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carter County's Train History (approx. 0.4 miles away); Samuel Powhatan Carter (approx. 0.4 miles away); Duffield Academy (approx. half a mile away); Covered Bridge
Wide view of The Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 17, 2011
2. Wide view of The Mansion Marker
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Green Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Transylvania Purchase (approx. 2.7 miles away); Watauga Fort (approx. 2.7 miles away); Watauga Purchase (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elizabethton.
 
Also see . . .  The Tennessee Conservationist Magazine: Unique TN History Preserved at the Carter Mansion. On a quiet residential road in Elizabethton stands an old home-place along the banks of the Watauga River. It presents itself with dignity and a gentle gracefulness to those who visit or pass by on their travels. (Submitted on September 12, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The John and Landon Carter Mansion (1775) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 17, 2011
3. The John and Landon Carter Mansion (1775)
The founding Carter family grave stone image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 17, 2011
4. The founding Carter family grave stone
The grave stone, within the Carter family burial plot, commemorating the unmarked graves of John Carter (????-1781), Landon Carter (1760-1800) and Elizabeth MacLin Carter (1765-1842).
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement