Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Governors Island in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The South Battery

Governors Island

 
 
The South Battery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
1. The South Battery Marker
Inscription.
The South Battery, or Half-Moon Battery, was erected prior to the War of 1812, in concert with the construction of Castle Williams. A battery is a fortification equipped with artillery. This arrow-shaped fortification was built into the hillside overlooking Buttermilk Channel to the east of the Island. Its position provided protection against any attack through the channel from the harbor. A single story barracks was located inside.

From 1836 until 1878, the fortification became home to the Army Music School of Practice, a school for young, enlisted boys to become drummers and fife players. In 1878, the school was moved to Fort Jay, and South Battery was converted for use as an officers’ mess and Catholic chapel. In 1904, a major remodeling campaign converted the building to an amusement hall and lecture room for enlisted men. During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) – a program created to provide jobs to the nation’s growing number of unemployed – rebuilt the interior of Corbin Hall, a large room on the second floor, as a dining room and ballroom.

In 1939, the building was renovated for use as the Officers’ Club. The club was created to help meet the needs of active duty officers and the large number of very high ranking, retired Army officers who settled in New York City after
Marker on Governors Island image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
2. Marker on Governors Island
World War II. The South Battery continued to serve as the Officer’s Club for the Coast Guard until 1996 and was used for banquets, weddings, dances and other social functions.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 40° 41.284′ N, 74° 0.917′ W. Marker is in Governors Island, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Evans Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located on Governors Island. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The South Battery (a few steps from this marker); John Peter Zenger (a few steps from this marker); Maj. General Hanson E. Ely Retirement (a few steps from this marker); St. Cornelius Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Tower Carillon Chimes (within shouting distance of this marker); Oysters in the Harbor: A History (within shouting distance of this marker); Middens and Reefs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Buttermilk Channel and Brooklyn Waterfront (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Governors Island.
 
More about this marker.
The South Battery and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
3. The South Battery and Marker
The background of the marker features a picture of the South Battery. Two photographs also appear on the right side of the marker. One is an external view of the South Battery, while the second shows “The South Battery’s main dining room and ball room after its 1939 conversion to the Officer’s Club.”
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Governors Island. The Trust for Governors Island website. (Submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Governors Island. New York Harbor Parks website. (Submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

3. Governors Island National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
The South Battery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
4. The South Battery
Cannon at the South Battery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
5. Cannon at the South Battery
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement