Near Givens Hot Springs in Canyon County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Givens Hot Springs
In the spring of 1881 the Givens took up Squatter's Rights on 154 1/2 acres that included two hot springs and land along the banks of the Snake River. They built a comfortable 2-story house and planted shade and fruit trees. Their property became a popular site to bathe and wash clothes. Soon, learning of the value of therapeutic soaking in the hot water springs, miners from Silver City, local residents and Oregon Trail travelers frequented the Given's property. Milford augmented income by hauling his catch of sturgeon, dear and antelope to sell to the restaurants and butcher shops of Silver City.
In 1889 the Givens decided to visit family in Portland, apparently unaware that leaving the property would allow others to obtain the land under the same law that permitted them to hold Squatter's Rights. Matti's brother, Tim Shirley who lived nearby became aware of the interloper's intent. He rushed to Silver
With the help of family and other carpenters, a swimming pool, pool house and hotel were built about 1902. The hotel burned in 1939, however the pool house survived the fire and continued to operate until the current structure was built in 1952.
The following contributors, to recognize the historical importance of this site, herein present this monument and bronze plaques on this 10th day of September, 2011 and in the year of our order 6016.
Erected 2011 by Givens family and their descendants. The Avard T. Fairbanks Foundation and their descendants, and the Snake River Chapter Number 1811, of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 43° 24.95′ N, 116° 42.4′ W. Marker is near Givens Hot Springs, Idaho, in Canyon County. Marker can be reached from Marsing Murphy Road (State Highway 78) 0.2 miles east of Poplar Drive, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located 10 miles Southeast of Marsing, Idaho, a right
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Givens Springs (a few steps from this marker); Steamer "Shoshone" (approx. 7.3 miles away); Froman's Ferry (approx. 10.3 miles away); Guffey Bridge Snake River Idaho (approx. 12.3 miles away); Northwest Nazarene University (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Givens Hot Springs. In 1879 Oregon Trail pioneers Milford and Mattie Givens discovered and fell in love with the hot springs area that today bears their name. (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.)
Categories. • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.