“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dwight in Livingston County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Cardiff, Illinois

Cardiff, Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cindi Knox, September 6, 2010
1. Cardiff, Illinois Marker
Inscription. The village of Cardiff was built on this site in 1899, after the discovery of underground coal deposits. A mine was sunk and a relatively large town developed within months. The town, originally known as North Campus, incorporated as the Village of Cardiff in May, 1900.

A series of mine explosions from March 12-16, 1903, killed nine mine workers. Three men remain entombed in the mine. A second mine was sunk to the west, and mining operations resumed. More than 2,000 people lived in Cardiff at its peak. Cardiff had a church, a school, two banks, two grain elevators, a semi-pro baseball team, a bottling plant, railroad passenger service, a hotel, numerous saloons, and other businesses. Prosperity continued for Cardiff until the high quality coal ran out and the Wabash Railroad, the mine's biggest customer, refused to buy Cardiff coal. The mine closed in 1912.

A total of 18 men died in mine accidents in Cardiff. Almost as fast as the town developed, it disappeared. Houses and other buildings were dismantled or moved whole. Today the town of Cardiff is gone, yet remains a legally incorporated village. Two large hills of waste from the mine are monuments to the people who lived, worked, and died here. Dozens of acres that had been homes, stores, yards, and streets have now gone back to farmland.
Erected 2007 by Herscher Area Historical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 3.163′ N, 88° 17.266′ W. Marker is near Dwight, Illinois, in Livingston County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road N 3400E and County Road E 2900N, on the left when traveling north on County Road N 3400E. Click for map. Plaque is just beyond a small gravel area on the west side of the road, just north of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Dwight IL 60420, United States of America.
Additional keywords. Ghost town
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers

Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cindi Knox of Joliet, Illinois. This page has been viewed 611 times since then and 87 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Cindi Knox of Joliet, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement