Great Western Sugar Company
For more than half a century, the Great Western Sugar Company helped drive the economy of Colorado's eastern prairies. The conglomerate built fifteen processing plants along the South Platte and Arkansas Rivers between 1901 and 1910, creating economic opportunity for local farmers laborers, packers, shippers, and sundry other agents. Towns competed vigorously to attract Great Western mills, and no wonder: After Fort Morgan's factory opened in 1906, the city's land values soared from $40 to $250 per acre. Great Western prospered into the 1970s, but corporate neglect caused a steep decline; one by one its plants shut down. The Fort Morgan site closed in 1985 but reopened in 1986 under new ownership, and a new name - Western Sugar. Today it and a Greeley mill are all that remain of Great Western's sugar kingdom in Colorado.
Erected 1999 by Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 224.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the History Colorado marker series.
Location. 40° 16.044′ N, 103° 48.076′ W. Marker is in Fort Morgan, Colorado, in Morgan County. Marker is on Colorado Route 52 0.1 miles north of Interstate 76, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Morgan CO 80701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Morgan (here, next to this marker); Watching River Wildlife (here, next to this marker); Rainbow Arch Bridge (here, next to this marker); Old Fort Morgan (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 6 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.