Givens Hot Springs in Canyon County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
has been a popular attraction
for thousands of years.
A winter village site for about 5000 years, these hot springs had large pit houses typical of plateau communities northwest of here from 4,300 to about 1,200 years ago. After that, small huts used by Great Basin tribes became fashionable. Deer, rabbits and river mussels sustained the winter camp. After 1842, emigrants using an Oregon Trail alternate also patronized Givens Springs.
Erected by Idaho Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 358.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 24.95′ N, 116° 42.383′ W. Marker is in Givens Hot Springs, Idaho, in Canyon County. Marker can be reached from Marsing Murphy Road (State Highway 78) 0.2 miles east of Poplar Drive, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located 10 miles Southeast of Marsing, Idaho, a right turn off of Highway 55 onto Highway 78. The largest nearby town is Nampa, Idaho, a half hour away. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11309 Hwy 78, Melba ID 83641, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 Givens Hot Springs (a few steps from this marker); Steamer "Shoshone" (approx. 7.3 miles away); Froman's Ferry (approx. 10.3 miles away); Guffey Bridge Snake River Idaho (approx. 12.3 miles away); Northwest Nazarene University (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Categories. • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 622 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?