Clay Street Cemetery
From 1905 to 1916 at least 83 men died and 400 were injured in gold mining accidents in the Fairbanks area. Underground mining was dangerous during this pioneer era. Most died from cave-ins, falling down shafts, being struck by material while in the shaft and by gas asphyxiation. The miners were often young, single, foreign-born “pick and shove” laborers. They were far from home. Those with an asterisk (*) are buried here in the Fairbanks Clay Street Cemetery.
- 1905 - *Eric Carlson, Cleary Creek Dave McCurdy, Emma Creek Dan Cresap, Emma Creek John Donnellan, Cleary Creek John “Jack” Darling, Ester Creek
- 1906 - *Charles Vessey, Cleary Creek *Fred Tessier, Fall Creek *George A. Lincoln, OConnor Creek *Fox Walker, (unknown) Creek *Hugh Knox, Ester Creek *Charles Swanson, Cripple Creek *Pekka Hukulin (Peter Hacklain), Cleary Creek *Sam Johnson, Fairbanks Creek Samual Bracken, Cleary Creek
-1907 - *William Sandberg, Ester Creek *Louis Albertin, Dome Creek *John “Jack” Doyle, Fairbanks Creek *Nels Bergstrom, Dome Creek *John Dobbin, Dome Creek *Julius Blondeel (Joseph Blondale), Ester Creek *Peter OHagen, Wolf Creek Robert Carlson, Cleary Creek Markus Tovich (Max Herbert), Cleary Creek *John Takalla (John Pakala), Dome Creek Ole Lee, Cleary Creek
- 1908 - *Adolph Miller, Dome Creek *Antone Reith, Ester Creek Bert Hicks, Cleary Creek *Theodore Walford, Ester Creek *Walter N. Mclellan (Walter McClellan), Cleary Creek *A.C. Richards, Ester Creek *Rasmus Peterson, Dome Creek *Alexander Johnson, Little Eldorado Creek *Michael M. McCarthy (Michael McCarty), Caribou Creek *Frank Fortunat (Frank Fortaine), Goldstream Creek *John Jurinez, Cleary Creek *John “Jack” Karlstrom, Ester Creek *Pete Peterson, Dome Creek
- 1909 - *Joseph Pickering, Dome Creek *Lars B. Johnson, Dome Creek *Marius Jacobsen (Maurice Jacobsen), Silver Creek *Nicholai Muscatello, Fairbanks Creek *Phillipo Nicello, Ready Bullion Creek *Charles Nyberg, Caribou Creek Ed Jungst, Tenderfoot Creek *Charlers Lermer, Dome Creek *Edward Bloom, Ready Bullion Creek *Henry Aho, Ready Bullion Creek Peter Johansen, Ester Creek
- 1910 - *Victor Lindbloom, Ready Bullion Creek *James Ferry, Engineer Creek *J.E. Kaye, Dome Creek *Hendrie W. Johnson, Our Creek *Dan Melich (Mills), Ready Bullion Creek *Louis Darndando, Fish Creek John Nolan, Goldstream Creek *John Twaddle, Jupiter Mars Quartz Warren Dakin, Fish Creek *Amidie Dion, Goldstream Creek *Frank Winquist, Dome Creek
- 1911 - *”Dutch Ed” Neuwirth, Pedro Creek *Tom Durham, No Grub Creek *Roderick McDonald, Ester Creek
- 1912 - *Tony Martin, Treasure Creek *Michael Cannon, Ester Creek *Sam Samuelson, Steele Creek *Louis P. Anderson, Dome Creek
- 1913 - *Alfred Wirkkala, Tenderfoot Creek *Michael Twohey, Goldstream Creek Joseph Waeffler, Goldstream Creek *Dan Stiepovich, Eva Creek *Stefano Gatti, Goldstream Creek *James Jamieson, Eva Creek *Tom Overland, Fairbanks Creek
- 1914 - *Charles A. Carlson, Sargent Creek *Pete Jorgenson, Goldstream Creek *Alexander Ross (Andrew Ross), Dome Creek *Al Prescott, Fairbanks Creek
- 1915 - *Peter Erickson, Cleary Creek Axtel “Alex” Hullund, Tenderfoot Creek *Ed Morrison, Cleary Creek
- 1916 - *Michael Pasic, Gold Hill *Octaf Demeurisse, Cleary Creek
Decicated July 21, 2003 - Research by Rex Fisher – Denali Third Grade Students, May 1999
Erected 1999 by Denali Third Grade Students.
Location. 64° 50.498′ N, 147° 42.524′ W. Marker is in Faribanks, Alaska, in Fairbanks North Star Borough. Marker is on 5th Avenue. Click for map. This marker is located in the Clay Street Cemetery at the east end of 5th Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 5th Avenue, Fairbanks AK 99701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Suter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wickersham Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lacey Street Theater (1939) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cushman Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); "The Line" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fairbanks Public Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away); Barnette's Landing (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Founding of Fairbanks (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Faribanks.
Also see . . . The Downtown Fairbanks Walking Tour - Clay Street Cemetery. (Submitted on September 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Additional keywords. Gold Miners
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 759 times since then and 120 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.