Saint Joseph in Buchanan County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
—1783 - 1868 —
Near this site the French fur trader Joseph Robidoux established a trading post in 1826 while it was still Indian territory. Robidoux and his family oversaw a far-ranging fur trading empire.
The Platte Purchase of 1837 added the six county northwest corner to the state of Missouri. With the opening of the area to settlers, Robidoux incorporated the town of St. Joseph in 1843, naming it for his patron saint.
Location. 39° 45.979′ N, 94° 51.652′ W. Marker is in Saint Joseph, Missouri, in Buchanan County. Click for map. Marker is in the Missouri riverfront park, accessed via Francis Street, and about 200 yards southwest of the I-229 Exit 6A ramps. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Joseph MO 64501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pony Express (here, next to this marker); The California - Oregon Trail (here, next to this marker); St. Michael's Prairie / The Lewis and Clark Expedition (here, next to this marker); "Saddle and Mochila" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Journey West (approx. ¼ mile away); Missouri Valley Trust Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Boder Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buchanan County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Saint Joseph.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Joseph Robidoux. (Submitted on September 22, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Robidoux Family Papers at the State Historical Society of Missouri. (Submitted on September 22, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 503 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016.