“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Merton in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Village of Merton

Village of Merton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, 2009
1. Village of Merton Marker
Inscription. Early Potawatomi Indians had a camp trail on ridge south of Bark River, which became part of Military Trail. Wm. O'Dell, about 1840, built first settler cabin near Bark. In 1848 the Township was called "Warren". Local people wanted a Post Office, but Wisconsin already had a Warren's P.O. So the local name was changed to "Merton". First hotel built 1847 by W.W. Caswell. First school started in 1843 in log cabin with D.S. Foote as teacher. School built in 1848 on Main St. with new school built in 1922. In 1843 First Baptist Church formed. In 1880 St. John's United Church of Christ started. In 1917 Merton Fire Dept. founded. On March 7, 1922 257 residents voted to incorporate Village of Merton. In 1992 to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Village of Merton and the 75th of the Fire Dept. The Vietnam Moving Wall was brought to the Village. This was the first time Moving Wall was on display in southeastern Wis.
Erected 1999 by Waukesha County Historical Society and funded by Village of Merton. (Marker Number 16-04.)
Location. 43° 8.99′ N, 88° 18.456′ W. Marker is in Merton, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Main Street across from Fireman's Park, Merton WI 53056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Village of Merton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, 2009
2. Village of Merton Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martin C. Weber, Sr. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church Of Merton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plainview School No. 4 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Beaumont Hop House (approx. 2 miles away); Monches (approx. 3.1 miles away); Town of Lisbon (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sixteen School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Carl Schurz Forest (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Merton.
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement