Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The United Church/Die Vereinigte Kirche
United Methodist Church
United Church of Christ
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, December 14, 1978.
Dedicated May 15, 1892, this was the second church built on this site by the Concordia Lutheran Evangelical German congregation, founded January 17, 1833; the lot was sold to the German Lutherans by Jacob Funck in 1768. John Philip Sousa was baptized here, November 26, 1854.
From 1898 some services were held in English, predominantly so as of 1933. As office buildings replaced residences, the congregation merged with the Union United Methodist congregation, as the United Church, January 1, 1975.
Erected by The United Church.
Location. 38° 53.889′ N, 77° 2.686′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 20th Street, NW and G Street, NW, on the right when traveling north on 20th Street, NW. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1920 G Street, NW, Washington DC 20006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Washington (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Announcement of the Atomic Age (about 600 feet away); Edward Teller (about 600 feet away); Union Engine House (about 600 feet away); George Gamow (about 700 feet away); GW's River Horse (about 800 feet away); Ingrid Bergman (about 800 feet away); "The Seven Buildings" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
Also see . . .
1. The United Church [Foggy Bottom]. (Submitted on September 25, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. United Methodist Church. (Submitted on September 25, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. German-Americans
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.