“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

King's Road

King's Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 3, 2011
1. King's Road Marker
Inscription. The British laid the original route for King's Road between 1772 and 1775 in an effort to encourage settlement into this area. Extending from St. Mary's, Georgia to Andrew Turnbull's Minorcan colony at New Smyrna, King's Road intersects Palencia Club Drive at this point. The initial construction of King's Road included bridges for crossing creeks & wetlands. When the American colonies declared independence from England in 1776, nearly 7,000 Loyalists used this route to seek asylum in Florida, which remained loyal to the British Crown. When the British left Florida as part of the 1783 Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War, maintenance of King's Road lagged until Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821. During the early 20th century, oyster shell was added to the road bed & some areas were paved with red brick. Portions of the original course of King's Road have been incorporated into modern trails and roads, particularly US 1, or are abandoned such as the portion visible here.
Erected 2006 by The Marshall Creek Community Development District and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-591.)
Location. 30° 0.797′ N, 81° 23.482′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County
King's Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 3, 2011
2. King's Road Marker
. Marker is at the intersection of Palencia Village Drive and Dixie Highway (U.S. 1), on the right on Palencia Village Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nine Mile Road (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Governor Grant's Plantations (approx. 3.9 miles away); Former St. Johns County Jail (approx. 6 miles away); El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose (approx. 7.1 miles away); African Origins (approx. 7.1 miles away); 30 8' North Latitude (approx. 7.6 miles away); 10 Hildreth Drive (approx. 7.8 miles away); Chain Gangs (approx. 8.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. Colonial EraRoads & Vehicles
Section of King's Road image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 21, 2006
3. Section of King's Road
One of the last remaining unpaved or modernized stretches of the original King's Road. Located in northern Volusia County, it had been by-passed by a wider, straighter modern highway.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement