Concord Presbyterian Church
This church, organized in 1808 by Rev. George G. McWhorter of the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, held its first services in a brush arbor near Concord Springs. The next year Gen. Thomas Sumter donated two acres to the Concord Society to build a “Meeting House,” which was built soon afterwards.
Concord is the mother church of First Presbyterian Church of Sumter (1823). In 1832 noted college president and theologian James Henley Thornwell (1812-1862) professed his faith during a service here, while he was teaching at an academy in Sumter. The present Greek Revival sanctuary was built in 1841.
Erected 2010 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 43-44.)
Location. 33° 54.572′ N, 80° 13.381′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of E Brewington Road and Concord Church Road, on the right when traveling east on E Brewington Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3350 E. Brewington Road, Sumter SC 29153, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul African American Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.8
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.