Unity Presbyterian Church
This church, founded in 1788, predates the present town of Fort Mill and has occupied four sites in the vicinity. The first church, a log building, stood about 2 mi. NE in a community known as “Little York.” It burned in 1804. A log church was built 5 blocks N, where the first church cemetery was laid out. That church burned in 1838, and the congregation moved to a site just E of the current location.
The second church cemetery, laid out nearby, became a municipal cemetery in the 1920s. The third sanctuary, a frame building, burned in 1880. A Romanesque Revival church built here in 1881, featuring a central bell tower, was constructed with bricks made from local clay. It and the historic cemeteries nearby were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. A new sanctuary was built here in 2010.
Erected 2010 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 46-49.)
Location. 35° 0.44′ N, 80° 56.304′ W. Marker is in Fort Mill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on Tom Hall Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 Tom Hall Road, Fort Mill SC 29715, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.