Evansville in Vanderburgh County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
McCurdy - Sears Building
Built in 1920 for financier and philanthropist William H. McCurdy (1853-1930), president of Old National Bank. Constructed of reinforced concrete with poured concrete floors, employing architectural developments newly pioneered for industrial buildings. Building leased by Sears, Roebuck and Company in 1925 for retail use.
This very successful store was Sears' first retail outlet located outside a mail order city. Sears' expansion to department stores was prompted by population shifts from rural to urban areas. Building was remodeled and enlarged 1937, 1943, 1946. Store closed 1975. Renovated and restored 1991. Building listed in National Register of Historic Places 1979.
Erected 1999 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Vanderburgh County Historical Society, and Old National Bancorp. (Marker Number 82.1999.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 37° 58.37′ N, 87° 34.269′ W. Marker is in Evansville, Indiana, in Vanderburgh County. Marker is on Sycamore Street east of NW 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 NW 4th Street, Evansville IN 47708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Wabash and Erie Canal (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Short Lived Canal (about 400 feet away); Vanderburgh County World War I Honor Roll (about 400 feet away); Sheriff's Residence and Jail (about 500 feet away); Vanderburgh County World War II Honor Roll (about 600 feet away); Ohio River Levee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Camp (approx. half a mile away); Augustus Owsley Stanley (approx. 8.8 miles away in Kentucky). Click for a list of all markers in Evansville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.