Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Las Vegas in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

County Courthouses

 
 
County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 26, 2011
1. County Courthouses Marker
Inscription. On May 15, 1905 Senator William Clark's railroad auctioned off lots to found the new town of Las Vegas. Block 20, between Second and Third and Carson and Bridger, was reserved for public purposes. In 1909 when the state legislature created Clark County, leading citizens contributed $1,800 to build a small one-story concrete-block county courthouse on Carson Street. In 1911 when the City of Las Vegas was incorporated, the city and the county shared the space.

In 1914 Clark County hired Nevada's most prominent architect, Frederick DeLongchamps, to design a permanent county courthouse. The two-story building cost about $50,000 to construct and furnish, and featured marble and granite interiors. Large columns and Mission-style arches adorned the exterior. The graceful neo-classical structure, set in the middle of the square and surrounded by a park, became a gathering place for county residents. Civic functions were held on the front steps of the courthouse, with the audience seated on the lawn.

After 1914 when the county offices moved into the new courthouse, city government offices and later the library shared the old courthouse. The city used that small building as its City Hall until 1942, when it moved into the American Legion War Memorial Building on Fifth and Stewart. The library continued in the 1909 courthouse
Photo on County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
2. Photo on County Courthouses Marker
Photo caption:
County Courthouse, built 1914, surrounded by a park
until 1952, when a library building was constructed.

In 1959 the county replaced the DeLongchamps building with a seven-story powder blue structure designed by the architectural firm of Zick and Sharp. That building was added to in the 1980's, but in the 21st century, county court functions needed more space.

The current Regional Justice Center opened at 200 Lewis Avenue in October 2005. County offices are located in the Clark County Government Center at 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy, where a grassy outdoor amphitheater serves as a gathering place for county residents.
 
Location. 36° 10.116′ N, 115° 8.648′ W. Marker is in Las Vegas, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is on South 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on South 3rd Street half-way between Carson & Bridger Avenues. Marker is in this post office area: Las Vegas NV 89101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Preservation (a few steps from this marker); First Church Built in Las Vegas (within shouting distance of this marker); Von Tobel's Hardware Store (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); Neon / Atomic Testing
Photo on County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Photo on County Courthouses Marker
Photo Captions:

Upper

County Courthouse, built 1909, later used for City Hall and Library. Demolished 1952.

Lower:
County Courthouse circa 1940. Demolished about 1960
(about 700 feet away); El Portal Theatre (about 800 feet away); Fremont Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chief Hotel Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ralph Louis Engelstad (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Las Vegas.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
Photo on County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
4. Photo on County Courthouses Marker
Map of
Clark's Las Vegas Townsite
Lincoln County, Nevada
Photo on County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
5. Photo on County Courthouses Marker
Photo Caption:
Planting the first tree in the courthouse park, March 1911. Holding the tree, Judge E.J.L. Tabor; with the shovel, Ed W. C[ ].
Photo on Nearby Historic Preservation Marker image. Click for full size.
6. Photo on Nearby Historic Preservation Marker
Photo caption:
The Clark County Courthouse, built in 1914, was demolished in 1960
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement