Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Quaker Cemetery

 
 
Quaker Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
1. Quaker Cemetery Marker
Inscription. On this site stood two successive meeting houses and the burial ground of the Society of Friends or Quakers. The site was deeded to the Quakers circa 1681 by South Carolina Governor John Archdale, a prominent Charleston Quaker and owner of a large section of the Grand Modell known as Archdale Square. The original meeting house, constructed circa 1696, was destroyed to prevent the spread of fire in 1838. It was replaced in 1856 with a brick building which burned in the fire of 1861. Charleston County purchased the property in the mid 1960s and relocated the burial remains to 2 Courthouse Square. This surviving section of Gothic style cast iron fence was constructed circa 1858.

Among those believed to have been buried here were Daniel Latham and Mary Fisher Bayley Crosse. Latham, a Charleston merchant and shipwright, supposedly carried the news of the 1776 victory at Fort Moultrie to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia. Mary Fisher Bayley Crosse, a native of England, was flogged at Cambridge University for her Quaker beliefs. Crosse, who traveled alone to the Ottoman Empire in 1660 and witnessed to Sultan Mahomet, became celebrated as "she who spake to the great Turk." In 1680 she settled in Charleston with her three children and second husband John Crosse.
 
Erected 1998
Quaker Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
2. Quaker Cemetery Marker
This surviving section of Gothic style cast iron fence was constructed circa 1858
by Preservation Society of Charleston.
 
Location. 32° 46.647′ N, 79° 55.967′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on King Street near Queen Street. Click for map. Today,now stands a parking garage for City Government and employees. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Electrical Engineering Milestone (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Unitarian Church in Charleston (about 400 feet away); Home of Doctor John Lining (about 400 feet away); David Ramsay House (about 400 feet away); William Harvey House (about 400 feet away); Gedney Main Howe, Jr (about 400 feet away); The Most Reverend Emmet Michael Walsh (about 500 feet away); Hibernian Hall (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
Quaker Cemetery Marker, seen along King Street southbound image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
3. Quaker Cemetery Marker, seen along King Street southbound
City Government Parking Garage now, where the cemetery once was located
Quaker Cemetery Marker image. Click for more information.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
4. Quaker Cemetery Marker
Located along Meeting Street * see nearby marker
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 305 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement