Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Academy of The Holy Names
On Nov. 29, 1896, Fr. William Tyrrell, S.J., offered the first Catholic mass in West Tampa in the second floor chapel. It is here that the history of St. Joseph Parish begins. In 1930, when the Academy was moved to Bayshore, the Salesian Sisters took charge of the school renaming it St. Joseph School. In 1955, the school moved to Cherry and MacDill.
Sponsored by: The Tampa Historical Society
September 14, 1996
Erected 1996 by the West Tampa Centennial Society, Inc. and the Tampa Historical Society.
Location. 27° 57.566′ N, 82° 28.843′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of North Albany Avenue and West Spruce Street, on the right when traveling north on North Albany Avenue. Click for map. The marker is in front of the Miracle Temple Church of God in Christ. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 North Albany Avenue, Tampa FL 33607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other The West Tampa Boys Club (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Beginning of the Cigar Industry in West Tampa (approx. 0.2 miles away); Centro Español de West Tampa (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morgan Cigar Factory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rough Riders Encampment ~ (approx. ¾ mile away); The Andres Diaz Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Roberts City (approx. 0.9 miles away); West Tampa Centennial (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the seal of the former city of West Tampa.
Regarding Academy of The Holy Names. The brick building that once housed the Academy of The Holy Names, then the St. Joseph School, today is home to the Miracle Temple Church of God in Christ.
The school founded in 1896 was meant specifically for the city of West Tampa, and was a sister school to the Academy of the Holy Names which had been established in 1881 in neighboring Tampa. When the local cigar industry became so successful, both cities saw an influx of Catholic immigrants from places like Cuba, Spain, and Italy.
When the Spanish-American war broke out in 1898, the classes here were suspended so that the building could serve as a military hospital. At this
The building is a Contributing Structure within the West Tampa Historic District (a National Historic District).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . The History of St. Joseph Catholic School. from the school's website (Submitted on October 7, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.