Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Burroughs in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Savannah-Ogeechee Canal

 
 
Savannah-Ogeechee Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2005
1. Savannah-Ogeechee Canal Marker
Inscription. Chartered in 1824, the Savannah-Ogeechee Canal was constructed between 1826 and 1830 by African and Irish laborers who moved thousands of cubic yards of earth. A boon to Georgia’s economy, the canal moved cotton, rice, bricks, and natural fertilizer. The lumber industry revived canal usage following a Civil War-era lull, but a yellow fever epidemic blamed on the canal caused a further decline. the canal closed in the early 1890’s as the Central of Georgia Railroad served transportation needs. Beginning at the Savannah River, the canal comprises six locks and 16.5 miles, ending at the Ogeechee River.
 
Erected 2003 by Georgia Historical Society, the Savannah-Ogeechee Canal Society, Chatham County, and the City of Savannah. (Marker Number 25-16.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 1.344′ N, 81° 18.94′ W. Marker is near Burroughs, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Argyle Road (Georgia Route 204) and Bush Road, on the left when traveling east on Fort Argyle Road. Click for map. The marker is off the road, in a small park with a museum and nature center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 681 Fort Argyle Road, Savannah GA 31419, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Savannah-Ogeechee Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2005
2. Savannah-Ogeechee Canal Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The 15th Corps at the Savannah and Ogeechee Canal (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); King's Bridge (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fort Argyle (approx. 5 miles away); Hazen's Division at the Canoochee River (approx. 5 miles away); Fort McAllister (approx. 5 miles away); "Dead Town" of Hardwicke (approx. 5 miles away); Courthouse Annex (approx. 5.1 miles away); Rice Cultivation on the Ogeechee (approx. 5.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Savannah - Ogeechee Canal. (Submitted on October 5, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,893 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on , by Edith Greisser of Cross Hill, South Carolina. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement