Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
90 East Bay Street
Ancrum Wharf Building
—Circa 1781, Altered circa 1855 —
When the first Ancrum Wharf Building was across from a public fish market that lay immdeiately to the south. During the first half of the nineteenth century the Ancrum Wharf Building served as the offices of James Hamilton and Co. who began a steamship service between Charleston and Savannah in 1836. A decade later, under the direction of shipping magnate James Adger, the area behind the Ancrum Wharf Building became the southern terminus for the first steamship line between Charleston and New York. During the twentieth century, the Gaud School was located in the Ancrum Wharf Building from 1928-1941 and again from 1951-1962. After Gaud School relocated in 1962,the building
Erected 1999 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 46.515′ N, 79° 55.626′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bay Street (U.S. 52) and S Adgers Wharf, on the right when traveling north on East Bay Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 East Bay Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Othneil Beale's House (within shouting distance of this marker); 83-107 East Bay Street Rainbow Row (within shouting distance of this marker); 8-10 Tradd Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); One North Adger's Wharf (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 23 Tradd Street (about 400 feet away); William Mills Tenement (about 400 feet away); As Old as Charleston (about 400 feet away); The Tavern (about 400 feet away); Sir Nathaniel Johnson (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
1. The Carolopolis Award
is a plaque placed on buildings that have been preserved, restored, rehabilitated or are outstanding examples of new construction. The award is presented to those individuals, businesses or organizations that currently own the property. The Carolopolis Award is a slightly modified reproduction of the seal of the City of Charleston. The word Carolopolis comes from the original name of the city
— Submitted October 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 453 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.