“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

North Fork of the San Gabriel River

North Fork of the San Gabriel River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. North Fork of the San Gabriel River Marker
Inscription. The North Fork of the San Gabriel River, part of the Brazos River system, flows east across Williamson County to join with the Middle and South forks at Georgetown. Abundant fish and wildlife attracted numerous Indian tribes to the areas along the stream in historic times. Named Rio de San Xavier by Spanish explorer and priest Fray Isidro Felix Espinosa in 1716, it was known as the San Gabriel River by the time Williamson County was created in 1848.

Anglo settlements along the river in the 1800s led to the establishment of four major crossings which took the names of families living at the sites: Booty, Russell (later Jenkins), Box, and Hunt. Located along the stream near the crossings were homes, mills, schools, churches, cemeteries, postal stations, and a gin.

Booty, Russell, and Box Crossings were inundated by the waters of Lake Georgetown, but Hunt Crossing remains above the reservoir. Planned as part of a flood control measure for the Brazos River system, a dam creating Lake Georgetown was completed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1979. The lake and adjoining parks and recreational facilities were opened in 1981.
Erected 1988 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9314.)
Location. 30° 40.455′ N, 97° 43.408′ W. Marker is near Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Overlook Drive and Cedar Breaks Road on Lake Overlook Drive. Click for map. Located at an overlook of the lake off Cedar Breaks Road. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Georgetown Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Site of Marshall-Carver High School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); San Gabriel Park (approx. 3.5 miles away); Railroad Produce Warehouse (approx. 3.6 miles away); Williamson County Jail (approx. 3.6 miles away); M.B. Lockett Building (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. Natural FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,112 times since then and 76 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement