“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sudbury in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)


1630 - 1930

Sudbury (Wayland Line) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, August 5, 2011
1. Sudbury (Wayland Line) Marker
Inscription. Settled 1638 by a company of Puritans who arrived in the ship "Confidence" and were attracted by the meadows on the Musketaquid River. Named after Sudbury in Suffolk.
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 21.781′ N, 71° 23.547′ W. Marker is in Sudbury, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Boston Post Road (U.S. 20) 0.2 miles east of Old County Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sudbury MA 01776, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Goodnow Garrison House (approx. mile away); Hop Brook Mill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sudbury Fight (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Town Center (approx. 1.3 miles away); Knox Trail (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Washington at the Wayside Inn (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pike Haven Homestead (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sudbury.
Also see . . .
1. Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 

2. Sudbury Historical Society. The Sudbury Historical Society is dedicated to bringing the rich history of the Sudbury Plantation into the lives and activities of the people of Sudbury. We collect, preserve and and communicate the history of Sudbury, Massachusetts. Founded in 1956, and incorporating the earlier Goodman Society, the Society maintains its offices and collections on the second floor of Sudbury Town Hall. (Submitted on September 10, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. Photo   1. submitted on , by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement