South Kingstown in Washington County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
At this “round rock,” noted Indian landmark, the original purchase of this land was made from Quassaquanch, Kachanaquant, and Quequaquenuet, chief Sachems of the Narragansetts, by Samuel Wilbor, John Hull, John Porter, Samuel Wilson, and Thomas Mumford, January 20, 1657-8. Here at Treaty Rock Roger Williams and William Coddington probably completed purchase of Providence and Aquidneck, March 24, 1637-8, and the Atherton Company in 1662 foreclosed its mortgage on the Narragansett lands.
Erected 1958 by Town of South Kingston.
Location. 41° 28.265′ N, 71° 27.086′ W. Marker is in South Kingstown, Rhode Island, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Middlebridge Road and John Street, on the right when traveling south on Middlebridge Road. Click for map. Marker is located in Treaty Rock Park. Marker is in this post office area: Wakefield RI 02879, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carter Jackson Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Narragansett Pier (approx. 2.8 miles away); Conanicut Battery (approx. 3 miles away); History of the Beavertail Light Station Whale Rock Lighthouse (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Assistant Keeper's House (approx. 3.1 miles away); The West Passage to Narragansett Bay (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Granite Light Tower (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,025 times since then and 142 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.