New London in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This parade ground appears on a map from the 1830s, when the second Fort Trumbull was still standing. Its use dates back at least that far. The army conducted drills and inspections of troops on this stretch of land until the early twentieth century.
The Revenue Cutter Service School of Instruction and later the Coast Guard Academy used the parade ground to drill and review cadets until 1932, when the academy moved upriver to its present location. The parade ground also served as a site for ceremonies, such as graduation exercises.
In 1925 a former army administration building was demolished, creating more space for the parade ground. However, according to Paul Johnson, Coast Guard Academy librarian and curator, “It remained small enough . . . to make precision in close order drill essential.”
Erected by Fort Trumbull State Park.
Location. 41° 20.646′ N, 72° 5.637′ W. Marker is in New London, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker can be reached from East Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located in Fort Trumbull State Park. Marker is in this post office area: New London CT 06320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of The Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Trumbull (within shouting distance of this marker); Site Orientation (within shouting distance of this marker); North Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Blockhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Cold War (within shouting distance of this marker); Scientific Research (within shouting distance of this marker); Merchant Marine (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in New London.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker features a photograph of cadets on the parade ground. It has a caption of “Coast Guard cadets assembled on the parade ground for formal review every Thursday afternoon. The mounds of the North Battery can be seen behind the blockhouse. The bandstand, which no longer exists, was built by the Coast Guard Academy.
Photo courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy”
Also see . . . History of Fort Trumbull. Friends of Fort Trumbull website. (Submitted on October 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.