Water Power for Amana's Mills
In the 1920s some of the line shaft system was replaced with electric generators and motors. The present hydroelectric plant was constructed in 1954 and has a capacity of approximately 150 kilowatts - enough electricity to power about 25 homes.
In 1993 Iowa River flooding severely damaged the millrace levees so that electricity generation was impossible. However, through a continuing effort to preserve and maintain the Millrace led by the Amana Colonies Historical Sites Foundation and assisted by grants from the Save America's Treasurers program and State Historical Society of Iowa, the levees have been repaired and "the Hydro" is once again producing clean, renewable power. This green energy is sold to the local electric company.
A view of the Amana mills and tailrace ca. 1915. A disastrous fire in 1923 destroyed the flour mill (left) and part of the woolen mill. Photo courtesy of the Amana Heritage Society.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dredging Amana's Millrace (a few steps from this marker); Amana Woolen Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Amana History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wohn Haus (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ackermann Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wash House and Woodshed (approx. 0.4 miles away); Amana General Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Wickery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Amana.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.