Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williams in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Williams, Arizona

 
 
Williams, Arizona Marker image. Click for full size.
By Frank Houdek, September 25, 2010
1. Williams, Arizona Marker
Inscription. The area around what now is Williams, Arizona, was first explored by a Mountain Man who came to this area in 1876, William Shirley Williams, who was called “Old Bill”.
The town site was created by a cowboy named C.T. Rogers in 1879. Railroad workers put their camp on the map when they began construction on the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad in 1880. By 1881 this camp had enough inhabitants to qualify for a post office, requiring them to pick a name. They decided on Williams, to honor old Bill.
The railroad reached Williams in 1882. In 1883 the Saginaw Lumber Company (later Saginaw and Manistee) moved to town. This tamed Williams as they employed hundreds of men who brought their families.
In 1890, copper was discovered north of Williams, touching off a mining boom that lasted for a decade. When the mining boom ran out, the Santé Fe Railway took over the defunct mining railroad and extended it into a scenic line to the Grand Canyon. The first train full of tourists rolled into the Canyon depot on September 17, 1901. Williams’ trademark, “Gateway to the Grand Canyon”®, was established in 1984.
The scenic Grand Canyon Railway was reopened in 1989 after extensive refurbishing.
Williams is the last town on Route 66 to be bypassed by Interstate 40. On October 13, 1984, traffic was officially diverted.
The
Williams, Arizona Marker image. Click for full size.
By Frank Houdek, September 25, 2010
2. Williams, Arizona Marker
Mother Road has made Williams a Mecca for Route 66 enthusiasts.
 
Erected 2010 by Lost Dutchman 5917+4 Chapter, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the U.S. Route 66 marker series.
 
Location. 35° 15.182′ N, 112° 11.002′ W. Marker is in Williams, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is at the intersection of Grand Canyon Avenue and North Pine Street, on the right when traveling east on Grand Canyon Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williams AZ 86046, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adam's Grocery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Black and White Cleaners (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tetzlaff Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Cabinet Saloon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Citizens Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Duffy Brothers Grocery Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dime Store (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Williams.
 
Also see . . .  The Grand Canyon Railway. The official Grand Canyon Railway website offers historical information in addition to information on tours, tickets and special events. (Submitted on October 19, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Plaque Dedication Ceremonies image. Click for full size.
By Frank Houdek, September 25, 2010
3. Plaque Dedication Ceremonies
Town of Williams Site Map image. Click for full size.
By Frank Houdek, September 25, 2010
4. Town of Williams Site Map
Pre-Dedication Ceremonies image. Click for full size.
By Frank Houdek, September 25, 2010
5. Pre-Dedication Ceremonies
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement