“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Shamrock in Collingsworth County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Site of Lutie School

Lutie School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Timothy McDaniel, October 15, 2011
1. Lutie School Marker
Inscription. The community of Lutie, named for early settler Lutie Gresham Templeton. Traces its history to 1909. Two years previously, local citizens had formed the Pleasant Valley School about one mile northeast of the townsite. Community leaders moved the school to Lutie in 1912, renamed it, and added a room. A third room was added in 1929, and the school continued to serve area children until 1937, when it consolidated with the school in Samnorwood (4 mi. NW). Land where the school was located reverted back to the family of the original donor, John Henry Young, Sr. (1874-1950).
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4825.)
Location. 35° 1.393′ N, 100° 13.134′ W. Marker is near Shamrock, Texas, in Collingsworth County. Marker is on Farm to Market 1439 east of County Road 180 when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shamrock TX 79079, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nicholson School (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Red River Plunge of Bonnie and Clyde (approx. 4.6 miles away); Tower Building (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy McDaniel of Clarendon, Texas. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 56 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Timothy McDaniel of Clarendon, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area shot of marker and its surroundings • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement