Percy Leonard James
1878 – 1970
Percy Leonard James was born in London, England, where he trained and first practiced as an architect. In 1908, he settled in Victoria, British Columbia, where he obtained his first commission and practiced his profession until 1954.
Mr. James was a charter member of both the national and provincial architectural institutes. In 1931, he was the first architect in British Columbia to be elected to the College of Fellows of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. In 1956, Mr. James was awarded an Honourary membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia, and in 1967, he was awarded an Honourary membership in the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.
Mr. James prided himself in his ability to produce solid, durable designs. This was epitomized in this Victoria Federal Building which was officially opened in 1952. It was among the largest stone-faced concrete structures built in British Columbia at the time.
Government of Canada
This Government of Canada Building, Victoria, British Columbia, was named in honour of Percy Leonard James on June 24, 1996 by the Honourable Diane Marieau, P.C., M.P. and the Honourable David Anderson, P.C., M.P.
Percy Leonard James est né à Londres, en Angleterre, oú il étudie l’architecture et entreprend sa carriére. En
Membre fondateur des instituts d’architecture national et provincial, il est, en 1931, le premier architecte de la Colombie-Britannique à étre élu membre du Collége des Fellows de l’institut royal d’architecture du Canada. M. James devient membre honoraire de l’Architectural Institute of British Columbia en 1956, et de l’institut royal d’architecture du Canada, en 1967.
M. James se faisait un point d’honneur de concevoir des ouvrages solides et durables, comme en témoigne cet éédifice du gouvernement fédéral, inauguré en 1952. A l’époque, is s’agissait de l’un des plus importants immeubles de béton à revétement en pierre construits en Colombie-Britannique.
Gouvernement du Canada
Cet édifice du gouvernement du Canada à Victoria, Colombie-Britannique, a été nommé en hommage à Percy Leonard James le 24 juin 1996 par l’honorable Diane Marieau, c.p., député, et par l’honorable David Anderson, c.p., député.
Erected 1996 by Government of Canada.
Location. 48° 25.562′ N, 123° 22.062′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker is on Government
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bank Building (a few steps from this marker); Fort Victoria (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bastion Cannons (within shouting distance of this marker); Salvation Army (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Victoria (within shouting distance of this marker); First British Columbia School (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.