Blountstown in Calhoun County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cochranetown - Corakko Talofv
Apalachicola Creek Indians permanently settled Calhoun County in 1815; wars forced them out of Alabama. A new Tribal Town was built by Chief Tuskie Hajo Cochrane between Old River and Noble Lake. Cochrane is an anglisized version of his Creek name Corakko pronounced “Cho’thlakko” which means Horse. The 1823 Treaty of Moultrie Creek recognized Cochranetown with its 100 families as part of the Blunt Tuskie Hajo Reservation now called Bountstown.
The 1832 Treaty of Payne’s Landing compelled local Creeks to emigrate to Texas with Chief John Blunt. Tuskie Hajo Chochrane’s doughter, Polly Parrot, refused to go. Her clan fled northward to a Calhoun County wilderness called Boska Bokga, “the last fasting place.” The Bokga’s people became known as the Boggs Family. Many Calhoun County citizens descend from Polly’s clan.
In 1986, Florida Tribe of Eastern Creek Indians whose members include the Boggs clan was recognized by the State. Today, they still maintain their ancient traditions. Their unbroken line of titled chiefs is Tuskie Hajo Cochrane – 1832; Polly Parrot, regent matriarch 1833-1898; Tuskie Hajo John James William Joseph Boggs – 1900; Tuskie Hajo James Daniel Boggs –
Erected 1989 by Calhoun County Historical Society and the Boggs Family in cooperation with the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-324.)
Location. 30° 26.583′ N, 85° 2.583′ W. Marker is in Blountstown, Florida, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of East Central Avenue (Florida Route 20) and Main Street (Florida Route 71), on the right when traveling west on East Central Avenue. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Old Calhoun County Courthouse, Blountstown, Florida. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 East Central Avenue, Blountstown FL 32424, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blunt Reservation and Fields (here, next to this marker); Torreya Tree (approx. 10.8 miles away).
More about this marker. The Old Calhoun County courthouse, Romanesque Revival architecture, U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 672 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.